Kindness of Strangers

A few years ago my mum learnt about the Fowlers Vacola Preserving Method. And has been happily bottling fruits and sauces since. I took caught the bottling bug! And can't wait till summer each year to bottle our home grown produce too.
The only problem was that we had one original methods book between us (that was mums). I scoured the Internet but couldn't find one!
So I wrote to our local paper (Sunday Mail) to their please help section, and within 3 days of it being published I had received more than 17 books. Most containing letters from ladies that used these methods to feed their families, save money, and enjoy seasonal produce all year round. What really touched me though we're the letters saying that the book was their late mothers and they were glad the book was going to someone who wanted it and that it wouldn't just be tossed in the bin by relatives in the future. They described their mothers, what they were like, how they cared for their families, what they bottled and why. Where they lived, how many children they had. I found it fascinating and very humbling. These women had sent them from all over the state at their own cost! I promptly replied reimbursing their postage and writing them all a letter of thanks.
The kindness of stranges truly touched me!

The books!

Also this week my sister in law gave me a wonderful present she also had searched the Internet and bought me a preserving book from America! Kindness!! 

From my sister in law! 


Comments

  1. Wow! How lovely that people are so generous! I've been keeping my eye out for a second hand via cola. The ones that go on the stove. Perhaps I should put a 'wanted to buy' ad in the paper. Sounds like community is alive and well near you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      Yes I was so surprised! And I looked on www.gumtree.com.au and found a vacola kit locally for $30!!!

      Delete
  2. That was a great response to your ad. I am so glad to hear there are still some kind and generous people out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Thank you for your comments! I was so thrilled that there were so many lovely people still out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to find that book here!! Sounds very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts