Preserving Food - Why?



I love preserving! Making one jar of preserves is well worth the effort in our house!

The art of canning / preserving was almost a lost one, but is slowly making a comeback. Why? Many people looking for better, tastier, cheaper, chemical free produce  are now growing their own. But, they are also finding as we did, that fruit trees (and any other crop you plant) can provide more than your family can eat at the time. So, what to do? Preserve it!

Gardening can be hard work! Preparing soil, building garden beds, cultivating compost, planting, watering, weeding etc etc. So do not waste your hard work! There is nothing more rewarding than in the middle of winter making a crumble that has the taste of summer fruits. Or having freshly made scones with homemade jam. It's delightful. And what a gift to be able to provide your family with healthy, homemade produce all year round!

I have recently been given (see my post 'The kindness of strangers') a more than sufficient supply of original Fowlers Vacola preserving books. So if you need a preserving recipe and you cannot find it, please ask me (by leaving a comment) and I will do my best to help you. You'll be surprised what you can preserve! Or follow my blog and the preserving recipes that we use regularly.

So join me in preserving what we have! And enjoying it all year round!


Comments

Popular Posts